At all times the conduct under this Policy will be governed by the following principles:
• all requests for access will be treated seriously;
• all requests will be dealt with promptly;
• all requests will be dealt with in a confidential manner.
Form of Access
Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd/Era Health will provide access by allowing you to inspect, take notes of or receive copies or printouts of the personal information that the Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd/Era Health holds about you. You can make your request in writing by filling out the form supplied by us.
To obtain access you will have to provide proof of your identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is not undermined.
When will Access be denied?
Access will be denied if:
• the request does not relate to the personal information of the person making the request;
• providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to life or health of a person;
• providing access would create an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
• the request is frivolous and vexatious;
• the request relates to legal proceedings between Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd/Era Health and you;
• providing access would prejudice negotiations with the individual making the request;
• access would be unlawful;
• denial of access is authorised or required by law;
• access would prejudice law enforcement activities;
• access discloses a â€˜commercially sensitive’ decision making process or information; or
• any other reason that is provided for in the Health Privacy Principles (HPPs) set out in the Victorian Health Records Act and the National Privacy Principles (NPPs) set out under the Commonwealth Privacy Act.
Where possible, Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd/Era Health will favour providing access. It may do so by providing access to the appropriate parts of, and not the entire record.
We will take all reasonable steps to provide access within 45 days of your request.
Costs and charges
Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd/Era Health will, where possible, impose the charges in accordance with the Victorian Health Records Act and the Health Records Regulations. Please ask us about these fees.
Era Health is the health clinic and trading name of Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd,. Southern Medical Services Pty Ltd/Era Health takes its obligations under the Victorian Health Records Act 2001 and the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 seriously and takes all reasonable steps in order to comply and protect the privacy of the personal information that we hold. This policy sets out how we do so.